making reagular2cooking regular2lovingliving regular2new reader3

Sunday, February 20, 2011

neck warmer for kids

Before Christmas I was busy making gifts and was for the lookout of practical gifts I could knit with one skein and knit fast. I remembered the typical neck warmers that we used to have when I was a kid. They would simply be a neck with a front and back panel to keep your chest and the back of your neck warm. When our coats and winter jackets were closed it looked like we were wearing a sweater with a long neck.
I knitted them for a two and four year old, but the pattern can easily be adjusted for kids of other ages or grown ups by adding 4, 8 or 12 stitches more and adjusting the length of the front and back panel.

The top to bottom knitting was inspired by JCasas Neighborly that I have made on several occasions.



Neck warmer

Sizes
Approximately 2 years and (4 years)

Needles
3.5 mm circulars (US 4) and 4 mm circulars (US 6), (both my circulars were 40 cm long (15.7 in)
Yarn: Drops Merino extra fine

Notions
Stitch marker
Stitch holder or scrap thread

Abbreviations
k – knit
p-purl

Pattern
Cast on 92 (96) stitches on 3.5 mm (US 4) needles. Join the stitches making sure not to twist and place marker to designate the row.
k 2 and p 2 to the end of row
Continue to [k2, p2] until the piece measures 6 cm (2.4 in)
k four rounds.
Switch to 4mm (US 6) needles and k four more rounds.

Bind off 7 (8) stitches after marker, k 39 (40) and place these stitches on a stitch holder or a scrap yarn. These 39 (40) stitches are for the back panel of the neck warmer.

Bind off 7 (8) stitches and k 39 (40). These are the stitches for the front panel of the neck warmer and the ones you will continue to work on now. Turn work so you are looking at the wrong side (purled row). Knit the following rows like this:

From wrong side: k3, p 33 (34), k3
From right side: k 39 (40)

Continue with this until your work measures 12 cm (4.7 in) or your desired length from the point when you divided the work in back and front. k 6 rows and bind off.

Now take the stitches that you put on the stitch holder or scrap yarn (for the back of the neck warmer) and do the same as with the front.

Happy knit!

17 comments:

  1. This is just what I've been looking for - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you find it useful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice idea. i like that it will look like a sweater under the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you for sharing your pattern! I love the colour that you have chosen too! I will try to make this for a friend's little boy for next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had lots of those "dickies" when I was a kid. Yours are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que color mas bonito!!! gracias por el patrón.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I had these as a child growing up in blustery Newfoundland. Just enough to keep you warm. in a super soft yarn this will be an "accaptable" neck warm for my fussy 4 year old.

    THanks Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! gracias por el patrón!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking to make something like this, but sized up for adults to wear under motorbike jackets. So I'd want the bottom to come down to mid-chest, and a big neck that could be pulled up over the mouth if desired.
    I've never made my own pattern before, any chance you could give me a few tips?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah Jane I will look into it and share something soon, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a neck warmer pattern for children knit in a lighter weight wool or even how to adjust your pattern with a lighter weight wool? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I make these without circular needles?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this. I just finished my first one in 2 nights of knitting. What a usefull, easy and wearable little knit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is wonderful, starting my 2nd one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could this be adjusted for bulky or 4 ply yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is your gauge on this pattern? I want to adjust for other weights and gauge is very important.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful and so easy to make thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know you were here!